Surveying the moms at a recent MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) talk, the overwhelming top response was the need for moms to have more time for themselves! Don’t you know that the minute you sneak away to make a phone call, World War III breaks out with your kids?! They have this innate ability to know when Mom is all-tied-up! But moms need a way to recharge their batteries too, ‘cause that’s the best way to bolster their patience quota. So here’s my top favs for finding an oasis in the midst of a long day.
8. Establish a time-out seat for mom. And let the kids learn to tiptoe around when you head there!
7. Bundle up on a crisp fall day and jump in piles of leaves together!
6. Attend Story Hour at your local library. You can catch up on some magazine browsing while your child is enthralled by the story-telling.
5. Shop at grocery stores that provide short-term childcare. The kids will be happy and you’ll be less frazzled from shopping.
4. Sign up for a Mommy & Me Class at a local gym or pool. The socialization with other moms will do you a world of good, and you’ll enjoy your child more in a different environment. The exercise will release those feel-good endorphins, as well!
3. Swap a few hours of childcare every week with another mom. The rule is: do something for yourself during that time away, no housework or grocery shopping!
2. Hire the neighborhood pre-teen to play with your child in the next room where you can be available, but out-of-sight.
1. Pile up the blankets and pillows for a slumber-nap together. You need your rest, too, Mom!
Be creative! You can catch a breather every day, Mom!